What We Believe
At Oakhill Church, we are excited about our faith. We believe Christian doctrine, like our Risen Lord, is alive today and not just some dead tradition that has little relevance to the modern day Church or daily living. Great Biblical doctrine, rightly taught, helps us to better find, experience and understand our wonderful Lord and His plan for our lives. You will find our church to be a place of doctrinal depth and richness that is thoughtful and practical for everyday life. With that in mind, here are a few basic doctrinal points that we believe to be essential to our faith. We believe ...
- In One Eternal God in three distinct Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit - Genesis 1:1, Matthew 28:19
- Jesus Christ is Lord of all and He is the ONLY way of salvation - Acts 4:12
- Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone for the glory of God alone - Ephesians 2:8
- The Lord alone calls each person to a new birth and resulting faith - John 3:3
- Scripture is the final authority for the Christian - II Timothy 3:16-17
- There is one people of God, united by the Spirit in Christ - Ephesians 4:4-6
- Every Christian has been called to serve one another in the Body of Christ - I Corinthians 12:7
- Discipleship is at the heart of a growing relationship with the Lord - Matthew 10:38
- Our Lord Jesus will return for His people at the close of the age - I Thessalonians 4:13-18
The Essentials of the Faith --A more in-depth explanation of our faith from above is contained in what we refer to as "The Essentials" listed below.
All Scripture is self-attesting and being Truth, requires our unreserved submission in all areas of life. The infallible Word of God, the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments, is a complete and unified witness to God’s redemptive acts culminating in the incarnation of the Living Word, the Lord Jesus Christ. The Bible, uniquely and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit, is the supreme and final authority on all matters on which it speaks. On this sure foundation we affirm these Essentials:
- We believe in one God, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To Him be all honor, glory and praise forever!
- Jesus Christ, the living Word, became flesh through His miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit and His virgin birth. He who is true God became true man united in one Person forever. He died on the cross a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. On the third day He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He now is our High Priest and Mediator.
- The Holy Spirit has come to glorify Christ and to apply the saving work of Christ to our hearts. He convicts us of sin and draws us to the Savior. Indwelling our hearts, He gives new life to us, empowers and imparts gifts to us for service. He instructs and guides us into all truth, and seals us for the day of redemption.
- Being estranged from God and condemned by our sinfulness, our salvation is wholly dependent upon the work of God’s free grace. God credits His righteousness to those who put their faith in Christ alone for their salvation, thereby justifies them in His sight. Only such as are born of the Holy Spirit and receive Jesus Christ become children of God and heirs of eternal life.
- The true Church is composed of all persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ and the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit are united together in the body of Christ. The Church finds her visible, yet imperfect, expression in local congregations where the Word of God is preached in its purity and the sacraments are administered in their integrity; where scriptural discipline is practiced, and where loving fellowship is maintained. For her perfecting, she awaits the return of her Lord.
- Jesus Christ will come again to the earth—personally, visibly, and bodily—to judge the living and the dead, and to consummate history and the eternal plan of God. “Even so, come, Lord Jesus” (Revelation 22:20).
- The Lord Jesus Christ commands all believers to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world and to make disciples of all nations. Obedience to the Great Commission requires total commitment to “Him who loved us and gave Himself for us.” He calls us to a life of self-denying love and service. “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10).
These Essentials are set forth in greater detail in the Westminster Confession of Faith.